Charles Bridge crosses the Vltava river in Prague, and connects the Old Town with the area around the castle and the village.
It was the Czech King Charles IV, who wished that the bridge was built and it was he it was named after.
Construction started in 1357 and completed in the early 1400's. The bridge is built in sandstone. In the 1600s, received the Charles Bridge decorated 30 statues in baroque style. The statues are on the bridge today are copies, original statues are exhibited in the National Museum Lapidarium.